Why you should use a proxy for Linux
Every operating system has its vulnerabilities, and Linux is no exception. To ensure security and anonymity on the network, we recommend setting up a proxy. With proxy servers for Linux you will be able to:
- Hide your IP address to remain anonymous on the Internet.
- Protect your data on the device from leaks and hacks.
- Bypass regional and local restrictions, and avoid blocking online activity.
- Filter traffic from unnecessary ads and spam.
If you already have a reliable personal proxy, let's move on to setting it up. We'll show you how to set a proxy through the command line using environment variables.
Step-by-step proxy settings in Linux
- Open a command prompt on your device. To do this, enter “Terminal” in the system search.
- In the command line, enter the proxy server data in the following format:
- export http_proxy="http:// username:password@IP-address:port";
- export https_proxy="https:// username:password@IP-address:port";
- export socks_proxy="socks:// username:password@IP-address:port";
- export ftp_proxy="ftp://usermane:password@IP-address:port".
You can enter several proxies of different types at once (HTTP, HTTPS, SOCKS, or FTP) or select one type.
If you use free proxy servers without a username and password, then enter the data in this format:
After that, close Terminal and reboot your device. After rebooting, your operating system will start working through proxy servers.
- export http_proxy="http://IP-address:port";
- export https_proxy="https://IP-address:port";
- export socks_proxy="socks://IP-address:port";
- export ftp_proxy="ftp:// IP-address:port".
How to disable proxy in Linux
- To disable the proxy, you need to open the “Terminal” again and enter the following values:
Close the window and restart your device.
- unset http_proxy;
- unset https_proxy;
- unset ftp_proxy.
The proxy configuration is completed! This setup is suitable for any Linux-based operating system. This will help protect your data and device, and you will always remain anonymous online.